Thursday, January 6, 2011

Flex Your Mussels

With the Israeli gone, I still need to eat. So when a friend asked me to join him for dinner, I was happy to accept. My friend, who we will further refer to as The Russian, is an old college buddy who is always down for a good time and always gives me a ride home. Two qualities which are irreplaceable in a friend. As I'm writing this, I am realizing that I hang out with very few American men. I guess life is just more interesting with an accent. The Israeli and the Russian are similar in many ways. I never understand what either are saying when they're on the phone because they are always speaking another language, they are not afraid to say what they think, and they will go out of their way to have a good meal. All qualities I admire. So the Russian was a perfect substitute dinner partner while the Israeli was away.

He suggested Flex Mussels, which I had never heard of but once I saw the menu, was eager to try. The menu is very fish heavy, so if you don't eat seafood, this is not the place for you. We ordered the Simple Salad, which consisted of bibb lettuce, watercress, marcona almonds and a light vinaigrette. This is the perfect salad for me. Very little dressing, big pieces of lettuce and some nuts for the crunch factor. I thought it was perfect and beautifully executed.


The mussels menu is quite extensive. I have never seen mussels prepared this way. There was curry mussels, Italian mussels, and even Mediterranean mussels. We chose the Pesto Mussels with shrimp, garlic and parmigiana and the Bruschetta Mussels with San Marzano tomatoes, lobster, marinated tomato and croutons.




I preferred the bruschetta mussels as the flavors were light and the added bread made it more filling.

All in all, a great meal. Would definitely frequent this establishment again and the atmosphere was trendy yet comfortable. And afterward, I got a ride home. Amazing.

1 comment: