Saturday, January 1, 2011

Faux New Year's Eve

The only thing better than New Year's Eve in New York City is a fake New Years Eve Celebration a few days prior to the actual event. You see, partying like a rock star is always fun, however, the lack of available taxis and the uncomfortably drunk teenage girls makes the night somewhat of a drag. I've actually considered not going out on New Years Eve, but I can't help but think that would set the tone of my entire year. But this year, the Israeli was taking a trip back to his home country during the holiday so we decided to celebrate in advance.

Off we went to Jean-Georges'JoJo , a delightful french restaurant on the Upper East Side. It was perhaps the first time the Israeli and I ventured that far uptown together for dinner and the differences were apparent. The crowd was older, the patrons sober and the waiters friendly. It was a nice respite from our usual downtown excursions.

Our first order was for wine, of course.

This wine was absolutely amazing. It was super light, super dry and super expensive (wooooops!). The Israeli wasn't too happy with me after I ordered the wine without looking at the price, but luckily he recovered quickly after tasting it.

Next were the appetizers:

We got the crabmeat salad with thin, wafer-like crackers which was delicious and the three-cheese ravioli with sweet peas and basil. Both appetizers were tasty but the ravioli definitely got the top prize.

For our entrees we got the salmon, slowly baked, truffled mashed potatoes, sugar snap peas, brussel sprouts with truffle vinaigrette. The salmon was cooked perfectly and the brussel sprouts balanced out the dish to perfection. I don't order salmon very much, but it came highly recommended and I can see why.

The Israeli ordered the duck breast which was prepared with a brick pastry and sweet and sour shallots. Not exactly sure what the pastry consisted of, but it was perfection.
Once again, the Israeli's dish was my preferred entree. I think I may have a problem with always wanting what is not mine, but I'll get deeper into that with my therapist.

This Faux New Years Eve was delicious. Now that the Israeli is gone for a week, who is gonna feed me? Any takers???

No comments:

Post a Comment